My Favorite Christmas BooksPublished December 3, 2018
After being asked which stories I like the most to read aloud to students during the Christmas season, these are some I’ve read over and over:
- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree by Gloria Houston, an Appalachian story based on fact from what Gloria Houston’s niece, my friend, tells me (Dial Books for Young Readers)
- Christmas Day in the Morning by Pearl S. Buck (Harper Collins Publishers)
- The Mitten, a Ukrainian folktale retold by Jan Brett (G. P. Putnam’s Sons, New York)
- Kitten in the Cold, Ben Baglio (Scholastic, Inc.)
- The Promise by Jacqueline Rogers (Scholastic, Inc.)
- The Quiltmaker’s Gift by Jeff Brumbeau and Gail de Marcken (Palace Press International). The most beautifully illustrated book and the story is even better!
- The Nutcracker, Susan Jeffers (Harper Collins Publisher), the classic story with beautiful art work—a book to keep forever!
- The Christmas excerpts from Mary Ann’s Mountain are very real and my most treasured memories. I only had 3 chapters done when I was still teaching. That is all my students got to hear. “Christmas Day on the Mountain” was a part of that reading, (Dog Ear Publishing, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and e-book)